Cornerstone Building Brands | Employer reference: REF1597P
Monticello, IA, US
Our commitment to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
Cornerstone Building Brands is deeply committed to building a workplace and global community where inclusion is not only valued, but prioritized, providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and team members.
The primary focus of the Continuous Improvement Champion is to develop and support a culture of continuous improvement and safety. Working with all aspects of the facility to constantly strive to eliminate waste, improve customer satisfaction, improve safety and reduce cost via the use of Lean tools and continuous improvement methodologies. This position will focus on the value stream’s performance improvements that yield zero accidents, defect free products, and on time delivery.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement and maintain the 6S System for optimal workplace organization and safety. Commitment to Behavioral Based Safety.
- Communicate daily with plant teams, office personnel, facility leaders and continuous improvement system mangers.
- Together with the Plant Manager and Corporate Safety manager, formulates general safety policies and procedures to be followed by company or plant personnel in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations.
- Inspects or tours facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, and recommends corrective or preventative measures where indicated.
- Participates in the investigation of accidents and injuries.
- Provide training and guidance to all personnel on the use and practice of Lean principles, waste reduction tools and safety practices.
- 6S, Standardized Work, Value Stream Mapping, Kaizen, Visual Factory and Safety
- Conduct random plant Emergency Response/evacuation drills such as tornado, fire, disaster, etc. and ensure plans/alerts are in place to notify all employees.
- Identify opportunities, coordinate, and execute continuous improvement and safety events including value streams to eliminate waste and add value.
- Work with all departments to analyze established designs to optimize efficient use of materials, space, machines and people in a safe manner.
- Actively participate in and/or lead process improvements of 6S/Safety teams and 6S/Safety committees to promote cross-functional ideas and solutions.
- Provide support in the development of a problem solving / waste reduction /safety culture at all levels of the plant organization.
- Maintain a 6S/Safety Audit log including the creation of audit assignments and tracking of 6S and safety scores.
- Maintain 6S/Safety training materials, including format checklists, audit forms and visual controls, etc.
- Maintains/updates SDS sheets
- Work with facility leaders to resolve 6S / Lean/safety roadblocks and constrains.
- Sustain improvement activities.
Environmental Impacts of this Position:
The Continuous Improvement Champion has a responsibility of avoiding environmental impacts such as; the release of: oils, grease from forklifts and cranes, solvents, paints and various other chemicals by accidental puncture, while performing your daily duties. You also have the responsibility to recycle all recyclable materials such as: paper, cardboard, ink cartridges etc. Caution must to be taken to avoid spills and good housekeeping practices are essential as a preventative measure. If a spill occurs, Metal Coaters (Spill Response, Log and Report Procedure) must be followed.
To perform satisfactorily in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with certain disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Knowledge of OSHA Standards and Regulations, preferred
Ability to read and comprehend documents including: safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals and simple correspondence. Also, the ability to, communicate information (in small group situations) to other employees.
Ability to, calculate figures and amounts such as fractions and percentages.
Ability to, apply common sense understanding to perform work instructions that are furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Also, the ability to, solve problems that involve multiple variables in a standard situation.
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proficiency in basic Microsoft Office/computer skills
- Must have effective written communication skills
- Required to use power hand tools
- Required to drive a forklift and use power tools
- Ability to work effectively to meet deadlines
- Ability to work with a diversified workforce
- Offers of employment may be contingent upon passing a substance abuse screening test and/or criminal background check
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; bend; stoop; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance. The employee will be required to be capable of lifting a minimum weight of 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close-up and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold or heat. The noise level in the work environment is considered moderate.
Before initiating work in NCI Manufacturing, the employee is required to read and understand the position’s Job Safety Analysis. Employee must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment and perform tasks in a manner consistent with NCI and Metal Coaters safety training, the NCI Employee Manual and OSHA regulations.
Cornerstone Building Brands is the largest manufacturer of exterior building products in North America. Our comprehensive portfolio spans the breadth of the residential and commercial markets, while our expansive footprint enables us to serve customers and communities across North America. Our relentless focus on excellence combined with our ongoing commitment to innovation and R&D has driven us to become the #1 manufacturer of windows, vinyl siding, insulated metal panels, metal roofing and wall systems, and metal accessories. We believe every building we create, and every part of that building, positively contributes to communities where people live, work and play.
Cornerstone Building Brands is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. You can find the Equal Employment Opportunity Poster here. If you'd like to view a copy of the company's affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email HRCompliance@cornerstone-bb.com. If you have a disability and you believe that you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please e-mail HRCompliance@cornerstone-bb.com. This email is used exclusively to assist disabled job seekers whose disability prevents them from being able to apply online. Only emails received for this purpose will be returned. Messages left for other purposes, such as following up on an application or technical issues not related to a disability, will not receive a response.
Notice of Recruitment Fraud
We have been made aware of multiple scams whereby unauthorized individuals are using Cornerstone Building Brand's name and logo to solicit potential job-seekers for employment. In some cases, job-seekers are being contacted directly, both by phone and e-mail. In other instances, these unauthorized individuals are placing advertisements for fake positions with both legitimate websites and fabricated ones. These individuals are typically promising high-paying jobs with the requirement that the job-seeker send money to pay for things such as visa applications or processing fees. Please be advised that Cornerstone Building Brands will never ask potential job-seekers for any sort of advance payment or bank account information as part of the recruiting or hiring process.